Monday, October 27, 2008

Tbilisi, Georgia

I am in Tbilisis, where hospitality is paramount, and I think I've gained five pounds as a result! Arg. And that's with averaging only two meals a day and hitting the treadmill in the hotel exercise room. So you can imagine what it's been like....here is a photo of a "supra" we had Friday night. It literally translates to "tablecloth" but means huge feast with tons of courses, copious toasts led by a master of ceremonies, music, laughing, and gorging. I had the best roast suckling pig I had in my life! And plenty of Georgian wine.  :) 


I was home for less than a month before I had to hit the road again. Fortunately, this was a short trip--only 12 days. You lose 2 days traveling this way, and one on the way back, so I'm really only here about 9 days. 

This is a pic of their television tower, with a brand new church the light in between the city lights and the tower. I have forgotten how to rotate the photos on blogger. Sorry. Exercise your head! 

The tower has lights shooting up and down it, and definitely looks like the Eiffel Tower. I loved it. 


This is Freedom Square (where, it seems recently, people can't freely protest anymore).  Everyone here wears black. A gazillion churches, very proud, culturally aware, and interesting people. The script that they use is like artwork. The civil war in the early 90s was really tough on them, and there are some seriously decrepit buildings. I'm seeing more poverty in the city than I expected. 

The history and symbolism here are beautiful and all around you. The country's patron saint is St. George. There is a towering aluminum statue on a hill overlooking the city of Mother Georgia. She is holding a jug of wine in one hand, a sword in the other---welcoming her guests with her hospitality, and warning enemies that she will fight for her country. People say that this embodies the Georgian spirit: Fiercely proud, extremely hospitable and proud, but willing to fight for themselves. There are ballets and theatres and operas and museums and dance companies that everyone is saying we must see. It's nice to see people so proud of their culture, and working so hard to share it with you. 

This last shot shows the Georgian script as well as a little bit of Soviet nostalgia. I love it! Still watching you. That slayed me. 

Hopefully more to come about Georgia, Central Asia, and some more of my travels. I have not been posting regularly, which is a shame. It's fun to share this stuff with all y'all. 

No comments: