Wednesday, October 10, 2007

earthshaking!

Last night at 10 PM, I felt the couch shaking. It was like I was in a bumper car and cars were bumping into my back end constantly, but lightly. I wasn't imagining it, it was my first earthquake!

My first reaction was a slightly disconcerted "What the hell?" Then, remembering I was in an earthquake zone, I was like "Oooh, this might be an earthquake." Then, remembering my cousin Ani describing small earthquakes in Macedonia, I looked at the chandelier to see if it was swinging. (He has said that sometime it's so slight you wonder if you imagined it or stood up too quickly, so he checks the chandeliers. He takes swinging as confirmation of an earthquake.)

The chandelier was completely still, and the mild bumping had stopped, so I dismissed it. Had I known I had experienced such a momentous first, I would have poured a shot of something and had a little toast.

No comments: