Thursday, November 8, 2007

snow!

When I stepped outside today, what I thought was rain is in fact snow! Big, fat, white flakes. I can't imagine what it's like on Chimbulak right now. I think I'll have to go up there this weekend...

Most people here don't seem overly thrilled with the snow. Probably has a lot to do with the horrific traffic jams and crappy drivers. Having grown up in Chicago, I LOVE the stuff. Don't get enough of it in Baltimore. I'm sure that living in condos where snow gets magically cleaned for you porbably has a lot to do with why I find it fun and not a nuisance.

It has been snowing steadily all morning, and it's sticking. It's very, very peaceful sitting up on my office on the third floor, looking out the windows: I see rooftops and trees covered in wet, white, fluff. I am very, very tempted to put on my boots and snowboarding pants (thanks for sending them, Steve!) and trudge to my friend's house, and drag them all out to play with me outside for a while. I know they'll think I'm crazy, but it's nice to be a foreigner in these cases---they just chalk it up to being "a crazy American." Since we're not from here, they indulge in our little whims more than they would the average adult, I'm convinced.

Now, to make this snow day complete I need to get my hands on some Slivovitz, or, "Shljivka" as my mom calls it. Hot shljivka is the perfect way to warm up after playing outdoors in the snow. Carmelize some sugar in a saucepan, dump in some Shljivka, and drink. You may want to water it down a bit, however, if you're new to the wonders of plum brandy. I served watered down stuff to my friends in DC and Baltimore and many of them don't remember very well what transpired thereafter. :) So be forewarned: This stuff packs a wallop.

No comments: