Thursday, November 1, 2007

Temujin, or Ghengis Khan

I am doing some serious backtracking with today's post, going back to some September activities when Steve was here. Let's see if the firewall allows for some photos...woo hoo, it's being nice today! :) Score.


So we decided to go out one night for dinner with my friends to Temujin. Temujin was the name given to Ghengis Khan when he was born. That's as much history I can give you, all I know is the restaurant we went to. Its decor was very warrior-like, as you can see here.


They have a typican Mongolian BBQ or Mongolian Grill there. For those of you who may be uninitiated, here's the concept: You go to a salad-bar-type set-up, and fill up a bowl with meat, veggies, oils, and spices. Then you hand over to a dude with a massive grill/wok and he stir-fries it for you. Then you eat your own concoction. Repeat as many times as you wish.



Steve and I have had Mongolian grill before, but my friends haven't so we thought it would be fun to show them how it's done. They thought it was cool. Though according to Roma, it's not technically Mongolian. Evidently (and don't ask me how he knows this, for I haven't attempted to verify it) the whole Mongolian Grill concept was developed be some dude living in Isreal as a cool gimmick for a restaurant. Perhaps this is how urban legends get started?

And this is where Steve and I got to try horsemeat. It was so good, that I had a second helping. Sorry if you love horsies, but I couldn't not try it. Tasted like meat. It was lean, not gamey. So now I can say I've tried horse. Though not authentic horse the way Kazakhs eat it, as a sausage. I've seen them in the stores and they don't look very appetizing, so I don't know that I'll actually try 'em. We'll see what happens...


My friends and their son, especially, really liked the make-your-own-dish concept. As they say, a good time was had by all. We ate, drank cocktails--including introducing Anara to margaritas and gin-and-tonics--and talked lots. They really liked Steve, despite the language barrier. But playing interpeter all night took its toll. (OK, maybe it was the gin followed by two beers.) The last photo of the night, I looked tired. Or buzzed. So I won't post it here.


Pricewise, the five of us ate and drank for probably around $100. Not considered expensive by Western standards, but for people earning an average of $750/month, it's a different story. But there are more expensive places to eat. One night Steve and I decided to have some sushi. I chose the sushi bar based on its proximity, without knowing it was the priciest in town because they fly the fish in from Japan daily. A sashimi boat for two that would have run us $60 to $70 in the US cost us $150 in Almaty. But I must say that the fish was freakin' SPECTACULAR. Best sashimi I've had in my life, hands down. Even their salmon was delectable, and I usually find the salmon so boring...Ready for two random bits of trivia? The place is named The Guiness Pub. And Richard Gere has eaten there. Go figure.

1 comment:

Social Media Symposium said...

It's true! It's true! The Mongolian Grill is not Mongolian at all. In fact, the owner of the Mongolian Grill chain apparently opened one up in Ulaan Baator not so long ago to get a little street cred. I'd have been very happy to eat at the Mongolian Grill, but instead we settled for a boat load of dairy and mutton avoidance tactics!

You have to admit though that any restaurant with a Ghengis Khan in it, is pretty tight.

Glad you're enjoying the adventures!
Lee Anne