Friday, November 30, 2007

old man winter

It's really nice and wintry here. I'd say the temps have been in the 25-35 F range for a while now. I wear my hat, gloves, and scarf when walking. My hat is decidedly American (just a typical fleece winter cap), something no fashionable Kazakh woman would wear, so I get a lot of looks. Once upon a time I was young and vain. Now I'd rather be warm than look hot, so let 'em stare.

I was bemoaning the fact that I'd be launched back into frenetic, US, Christmas-time consumerism when I got home and the karma wheel gave it to me but good. First I get an announcement that local artisans are selling their wares all this weekend and next weekend at the national museum. It's timed so that all of the expats can do their holiday shopping before they fly home.

Then on the bus ride to my friend's house, at the stop across the street from Hotel Kazakhstan I notice a 20-foot blow-up Santa Claus and Frosty flanking the entrance to the hotel. *sigh* Maybe they're catering to homesick Americans this holiday season. But signs of consumerism, I just cannot escape. What's a girl to do? Go shopping, that's what! I have gifts to buy for everyone back home! And a fur shapka, so that I can fit in!! ;>

No comments: