Monday, July 30, 2007

Back to Blogging

Access was pretty limited in Turkmenistan, and quite slow even in the capital of Ashgabat. So I didn't even try to blog from there.

Ashgabat was amazing, and I don't even know where to begin. The crazy dictator? The massive white marble buildings? The omnipresent statues, 30' x 40' banners, and sculptures of Turkmenbashi (the former president/dictator)? The lovely national dress the women wore? The massive state subsidies (70 liters of gas cost 1 US $. Water and electricity are free. Rent costs the equivalent of $2 a month. Intra-Turkmenistan flights cost $US 1.50)? The mountains that ring the city? The amazing friendliness and kindness of the Turkmen I met and worked with?

I think I took over 300 pictures. I'll have to find somewhere else to post them. I'll get working on that. And I'll also start posting in more detail about Turkmenistan while I'm in Almaty. I'm here for a few weeks, then off to Tadjikistan for the last two weeks of August.

No comments: