Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My 4th of July

While many of my readers may be enjoying hot dogs on the barbecue, potato salad, fireworks and beer today, I spent another half day looking through maternal records. In the afternoon the quality consultant from Moldova did a presentation on Safe Motherhood and the standards of care for managing the three stages of childbirth. Because so much of practice here was based on their own biological/physiological research but not epidemiological data, there's a huge emphasis on evidence-based medicine. It really helps when trying to explain to providers why their practices and/or technologies are outdated.

I'm happy to report that there was no gruel this morning but fried eggs, rice, and "tvorog," which is a Russian cheese that is more sour and less creamy than ricotta cheese. Alas, the "hot water" was really only less than freezing cold after running for a full 20 minutes. Tomorrow will be a better day: we aren't leaving for the next site, Karakol, until noon so I'll be able to actually enjoy the lake and lie on the beach for a bit. And I believe there will be hot water at the next stop! Yeeee-ha!

I took some great photos today of the lake, mountains, the Sanitorium, a squirrel (which is golden brown, not grey as they are in the States), and a lovely monument of Lenin. I was surprised to see it still up--most of the former Soviet states disposed of their Lenin statues in short order after the fall of the empire. It's not one of those huge, imposing ones, but made me feel nostalgic for Moscow nonetheless. Alas, I won't be posting any pics until I get back to Almaty. Apologies for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vera - Can't wait to see your 4th of July pics! Are you sure you didn't have a beer? Best to you, Lydia