Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Cholponata, Kyrgyzstan





Where there's only hot water 3 hours a day at the Sanitorium Blue Issyk-Kul, and the electricity runs only sometimes. :) This morning I felt like Oliver Twist when I went down to breakfast and got a scant 1/4 cup of thin gruel. (Though I didn't want to say "more, please.")

Today I spent all day poring over patient records and provider data entry forms, spot-checking and validating various indicators. Never in my life did I expect to be reading patient charts in Russian, in Kyrgyzstan! It was amazing. Tomorrow I'm going to validate the client forms.

I'm at an internet cafe but hope to take some pictures and get a swim in their famous lake before going back to the maternity tomorrow. There's this phenomenal ob/gyn/professor from Moldova that was also doing a site visit, which ended up with him re-teaching many of the new young obs how to plot partograms properly. He was filling out data on the quality and availability of the services here, but it ended up with him teaching for about the last 4 hours.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter and crackers (provided they don't get crunched) make excellent travel companions when you are not in the mood for gruel! Glad you are doing exciting things, and in Russian, no less!