Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me



Today the earth revolved around the sun in such a way that I get to state I'm one year older than I was yesterday.

I expected a rather low-key day, since I wasn't about to run around advertising the fact that I'm steadily marching toward the big "four-o," but that was not in the cards.

This morning as I was stepping through the gate into the front yard of our building, I turned to see a colleague. I greeted her with a "Good morning," to which she replied "Happy Birthday!" That continued throughout the day. I guess I'm the only one that didn't get the memo.

Today during lunch (did I mention that we have a cook and eat a marvelous, three-course lunch daily?) they had a little toast and gave me a lovely bouquet of flowers, a small, handmade, leather yurt knick-knack, and an absolutely gorgeous pair of chandelier silver and turquoise earrings, Kazakh-style. I was (and still am!) overwhelmed at their generosity and kindness. I haven't been here very long at all, so wasn't expecting anything at all. Needless to say, I was bowled over with how quickly I've been accepted into the fold.

Tonight I'm going out to celebrate with my friends. They're going to pick the restaurant since I'm clueless in that regards, but I'll definitely take some pics and let you know tomorrow how birthdays are done Almaty-style.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, V! I didn't know you had relocated!! I'll read more of the blog to get filled in :-) Love ya', Jimbo